Friday, May 02, 2008

Big Bed

This morning Chris put together David's new bed. We bought him a twin bed and this afternoons nap is his first time sleeping in a real bed by himself. We wanted to have him involved in the process so we had him "help" us pick out sheets yesterday and this morning he "helped" put his bed together. Then when it was all done he went into Jaclyn's room and saw the crib in pieces on the floor and when I took him out of her room he started to cry and wanted his bed. It was really hard to see my little boy so upset and not understanding why his bed was gone and why he had a new bed in his room.

Normally when I put him down for his nap I bring him in his room and give him a short cuddle and then lay him down and he falls asleep on his own. Today however when I went to lay him down he grabbed onto my shirt and said "mom cuddle, mom cuddle" So I sat on my chair in his room and held him for a few minutes and then laid him down. I then left his room. He started to cry and call for me and when I went back into his room he was at the door holding his monkey. I gave in and rocked him in his room until he fell asleep then I put him to bed. I feel like I tricked him into sleeping in his bad. I am worried about what will happen when he wakes up and finds himself in his bed alone. I am praying that he likes it and that we don't have any problems tonight for bedtime.

If anyone has any ideas for how to get a toddler sleep on their own in a big bed feel free to leave me a comment. Thanks
Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comment:

RobynRenee said...

Hello Heimsoth family! I hope you guys are doing well. I have quite enjoyed reading your updates the past few months. Sorry for lurking and not commenting until now :)

I don't have any advice for you, but I do remember when I got a "big bed" and when my "big bed" was replaced by a bun bed and when that was replaced by a new "big bed" (The last happened when I was about 7) I vividly remember each time and it was traumatic, but I loved each bed. :) I think I learned to love my first big bed when I found my dad "sleeping" in it because he liked it so much...maybe that might work?

God Bless,
Robyn