Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Toilet Training Up-Date

Well as I wrote in a previous post call Last Diaper I was starting down the path of potty training my daughter. I thought now was a good time to give an update on how it is going. 

On the day that I started her training she was a little grumpy to start, which I thought was because she was just not in the mood to go on the toilet. It turned out that she was getting one of her two year molars.  I was however not going to put her back in diapers. For one thing I like the idea of once they are in underwear then they don't go back into diapers and second I had No more diapers, so she had to wear underwear.
By the end of that first day I had done two loads of laundry and Jaclyn had not once gone on the toilet. 
This in fact went on for the first 10 days of her toilet training. 
One thing I do in the initial stages of toilet training is I set up a toilet station in my living room. I find that I am able to get them comfortable on the toilet while watching a movie or reading books and then relax enough to go. That just wasn't the case for Jaclyn. She would sit on her toilet for an entire movie and then get up without doing anything.
 I would remind her to tell me when she has to go pee and I would take her again. But NO, what she would do is come into the kitchen after sitting on the toilet for over an hour (I should say that it was her choice not to get up off her toilet for a break during the movie, I always offered) and tell me that she was peeing. Yes not that she had to go pee but that she was in the process of peeing. So I would clean up my daughter, my floor and get ready for another load of laundry. Did I mention that this was on going for the first 10 days, not once did she go on the toilet.

There were points where I was really frustrated with how stubborn she was being. When I would talk to my mom about how Jaclyn was acting my mom would just laugh and say "she sounds just like you". Then my husband would say things like she does have control over her body.  When she is ready she will be ready. 

While I am HAPPY to say that she woke up one day and when I said "OK Jaclyn, its time to go on the toilet" she didn't argue instead she went right away and has been every day for the last 13 days. She has been accident free throughout the days and most of the nights. 
Yes, I understand that most parents who read this will just shake their heads at me and say 10 days in nothing. But for me when my son was so easy this drove me crazy.

Yay for no more diapers!!

Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comment:

Mama of 5 said...

Yay! So happy for you and Jaclyn awesome news :) I will agree with you on daugthers being more stubborn, and the one thing I hated hearing was girls were easier then boys. Obviously not the case here or for me ;)